1/6 Photos of Smothered Pork Chops
Timothy J Higgins Eva's Note:
This is off the William Sonoma website, it cought my eye when I was looking for a pork chop and gravy recipe made in an ELECTRIC SKILLET!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pork loin chops with bone, each about 1 inch thick
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green portions separated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 1Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large electric skillet set on medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chops and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits from the pan bottom, until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, celery, the white portion of the green onions and the garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the thyme and flour and stir well. Gradually stir in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- 3Return the pork chops to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the chops over, cover and simmer until the pork shows no sign of pink when pierced at the bone, about 10 minutes more. Transfer the chops to a deep platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- 4Stir the cream into the gravy in the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the green portion of the green onions and the 1 teaspoons hot sauce and season with salt. Pour the gravy over the pork chops and serve immediately with steamed rice. Pass more hot sauce at the table.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.7
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.6 mg
- Sodium 606.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 26.4 g