1/1 Photo of Smothered Pork Chops and Sausage
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Saw Emeril Lagasse prepare this on FoodTV and I could practically smell it and taste it through the screen. It was as fabulous as I thought it was going to be. I think you could use the same basic sauce for chicken and shrimp dishes as well. The sauce is to die for! Adapted from recipe in "New New Orleans Cooking" by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 thinly cut pork chops (about 3 pounds cut about 1/2-inch thick)
For seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (or more! they cook down so you hardly notice them in the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/3 cups water (1 1/2 cans if you measure in chicken broth can)
- 1 lb smoked sausage (I used kielbasa) or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch slices (I used kielbasa)
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1Mix ingredients for seasoning mix together in a small bowl and sprinkle generously on both sides of pork chops.
- 2(Save the extra seasoning mix to add to the sauce later if you think it needs more seasoning--I tossed it out, and then wished I had a little bit more to make it a little spicier).
- 3Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- 4Add the pork chops, a few at a time and cook them until they are lightly browned on both sides (about 2 minutes per side).
- 5Remove the pork chops to a platter and set aside.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium.
- 7Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter, about 4 minutes.
- 8Add the onions, salt, and pepper.
- 9Cook, stirring, until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- 10Add the garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth and water.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Return the pork chops to the pot.
- 13Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 14Add the smoked sausage and the potatoes.
- 15Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- 16Serve with either steamed white rice or rice pilaf.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Pork Chops and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1488.0
- Calories from Fat 871
- Total Fat 96.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 344.0 mg
- Sodium 2113.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 105.5 g