Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Called Mom's Smothered Pork Chops in Judith Finlayson's Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes. *Variation: You can substitute 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. country style ribs but broil the ribs for 5 min. per side before placing them in slow cooker then add 1 tbsp. oil in skillet and proceed with the step that begins "Add onions..." and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 lbs pork loin chops, 1-inch thick (4-6)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- On a plate, combine flour, salt and pepper and dredge pork in mixture, coating both sides.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add pork in batches and brown both sides; transfer to slow cooker when done.
- Add onions to pan, adding more oil if necessary, and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in chili sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over chops.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or cook on high for 2-2 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
This was really good. I realized I only had one onion so I added some onion flakes to the mix. I doubled the sauce, used 1 and 1/2 bottles of chili sauce and increased the garlic. I think the amount of onions is a must. My chops were boneless, inch thick and cooked on low 4 1/2 hours.
If you want the taste of ribs with leaner and easier to eat chops... this is the recipe for you! My husband loved this. I doubled the recipe to freeze extras and tripled the sauce since we like sauce here. Makes a yummy sauce which I thickened with cornstarch (after removing the pork) on high in the slow cooker at the end. I used the loin chops and only cooked them 4-5 hours on LOW that was plenty.