1/1 Photo of Southern Collard Greens
1 hr 5 mins
Greens have traditionally been cooked down in water with a piece of smoked ham hock or turkey wing. This new method of wilting them leaves them greener and tastier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put greens through several sinks of cold water to get rid of any grit.
- 2Pull the tender leaves away from the stems, discarding the stems.
- 3Cut the bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large stock pot.
- 4Do not drain.
- 5Add the onion and cook til tender.
- 6Add the collard greens (the pot will seems overflowing, but they wilt) and stir until wilted (cover them every couple of minutes for a couple of minutes to help wilt them).
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste and the vinegar.
- 8Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Collard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 376.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 12.4 g