A hit movie was also named after this recipe. It's one of the first Southern recipes to be introduced to me by a neighbor when we were in Georgia. I've been hooked on them since then.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut tomatoes into ½ inch thick slices.
- 2Sprinkle both sides of each slice with salt and pepper.
- 3Dip slices into milk then in flour.
- 4Dip into eggs then into breadcrumbs.
- 5In a 10-inch skillet cook half of the slices at a time in hot oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each sides or till brown.
- 6(If tomatoes begin to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low).
- 7Add more oil, if needed.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.0
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 135.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g