1/2 Photos of Southern Fried Okra
Jessica K's Note:
This is another recipe I grew up with. This is passed down from word of mouth, no one has ever written it down before! Fresh, fried okra is soo simple to fix and soo good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a big bowl beat egg with a fork, pour milk in and combine. Pour the cornmeal in another big bowl.
- 2Pour enough oil in a big skillet, halfway up, or you can use a deep fryer. Set heat to Medium-high.
- 3Put some okra pieces in milk mixture and then coat in cornmeal batter. Fry in skillet 10-15 min, occasionally turning/stirring them around. They are done when crispy and golden brown but not black!
- 4Drain on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (i don't use pepper but some people prefer it).
- 5Repeat with rest of okra till all gone. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Okra
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.3
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 117.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 8.5 g