Prep1 hr 15 mins
Cook1 hr 18 mins
You can serve this on rice or simply as a side dish. It's alittle bit spicy, but you might like to add some Tabasco or hot green pepper sauce to give it a little more punch. I do.
- Place black-eyed peas in a large deep pan.
- Cover with enough water to be about 2-inches deep over peas.
- Bring to a boil, boil 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Cover and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Drain water off of black-eyed peas.
- Add the broth, 2 cups of water, ham hocks, onions, celery, carrots, jalapenos, salt and pepper to the black-eyed peas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, covered, for about 1 hour, or until black-eyed peas are tender, stirring occasionally.