Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Southern cooking at its best. These are also terrific left over.
Make and share this Sure to Please Cheese Grits recipe from Food.com.
- 2 quarts water
- 12 ounces quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt, to taste
- Bring water to boil. Add grits and simmer for five minutes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add peppers and onion. Saute until tender, about five minutes.
- Add to grits along with cheeses. Stir to combine. Temper eggs if grits are still hot. Otherwise, add eggs and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pour into 2 quart casserole dish and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for one to one and 1/2 hours or until set. I usually cook longer because we like them crispier around the edges.
I love grits and am always searching for a new way to prepare. I did cut back on the peppers (personal preference) and the butter by half and these were very, very good. Thanks for sharing a very nice recipe - this will be a great dish for going tailgating!