Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
These greens definitely have a kick. They're a perfect mixture of spice, veggies, herbs, and smoke, without the meat. They've got an edgy spice to them that authentic Caribbean and Mexican-cuisine lovers will enjoy. Even better, they're good for you - without the meat, without the fat, and without all the salt. For this recipe, use a regular eating spoon as your "teaspoon," and make all of your tablespoons slightly heaping (and slightly overflowing, for your tablespooned liquids). Enjoy!
- 3 bunches cleaned and cut collard greens
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thin 2 inch long strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thin 2 inch long strips
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried bay leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coriander, tied in cheesecloth
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water (optional)
- Clean 3 bunches of collard greens thoroughly by sprinkling with salt, washing and rinsing. Cut greens as desired, then set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 7 cups of water and brown sugar to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sautee garlic, onion, and both peppers until tender. Add contents of skillet to the water and reduce heat to medium.
- As water continues to boil gently, add liquid smoke, vinegars, bay leaves, thyme, celery salt, black pepper, cheesecloth-bagged coriander, onion powder, red pepper, and Worcestershire sauce to pot.
- Add all greens to pot, stirring gently to submerge greens into broth.
- Cook on medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to low and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Taste the "pot liquor" and add the extra cup of water if desired to reduce the "kick", making your greens more mild and less spicy.
- Serve with sweet cornbread.