Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 5 mins
Mom made this for us kids and it became something that was requested. Hard to believe, an organ meat that my mother turned into what we, as kids, considered delectable.
- Bring 2 liters of Coca-Cola to a rolling boil in a large stockpot.
- Place rinsed gizzards in boiling pot.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, reduce heat to steady simmer for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove gizzards and drain.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. The cooler the better.
- In the divided flour, mix the seasoning in one half (leaving the other half plain). Beat the eggs well-- place the butter in a medium-large skillet and heat until hot, while not burning.
- Take cooled gizzards, dredge in flour,egg, then seasoned flour.
- THIS IS THE VERY IMPORTANT PART!
- FLOUR-- EGG-- SEASONED FLOUR-- IN THAT ORDER!
- Place the gizzards in the fry pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, turning occasionally. Remove when golden brown.
These are without a doubt the best gizzards I have ever had. And trust me I've been eating them since I was a kid(20+ yrs). I give them 20 stars!! The first time I made them with all coke & they were too sweet, cokey tasting. Since then I use about 2/3 bottle coke and some water, maybe 3 cups or so and they are soooo tender and yummy. For my seasoned flour I use black pepper, season salt, onion powder & garlic powder. Also I just deep fry in veg.oil instead of pan frying in butter. Thanks for posting Joe!!
I thought these were the worst gizzards I've tried. The coke didn't seem to tenderize the meat but made it mushy, almost like a liver consistency. Not at all impressed. Sorry
Were Great! I did mine alittle different.I De-Fizzed the Coke and used it for liquid in the pressure cooker for 20 min, followed along with the rest and were so good my Wife most of them!! Had to make another batch. Thanks