Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Father originated this recipe and I have perfected it. Everyone I have made this for absolutely loves it and begs for more. My wife likes this more than chocolate.
- Mix cabbage, onion, sausage, and bacon bits in a heavy pot.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan.
- Pour the melted margarine over the ingredients in the pot.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Cover and stir occasionally until cabbage is smothered to your liking.
- Serve over hot white rice and enjoy the explosion of flavors.
Excellent! Better than my grandparent's soul food Mississipi/Alabama recipe for smothered cabbage!
I fried the bacon instead of using bacon bits and used the bacon grease instead of margarine. This is my non vegan meal for the weekend and was totally worth it. I also had to add a lot more salt and red pepper flakes.
Very, very good! Even better the next day! Loved it!
This dish was amazing. When I first saw the picture my mouth began to water and I knew I had to make it. I didn't stick to the recipe 100%. Instead of bacon bits I fried up fresh bacon and crumbled it into the mixture and used the bacon fat to add flavor. Amazinggggggggggg! My husband and I almost ate the entire pot in one day!!