Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best cheese grits I have ever had, courtesy of my mom's recipe box. Bake it the night before and re-bake it in the morning. You can make this the morning, of, but I recommend you follow it as written to get the same consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; add salt and grits.
- Cook according to the package directions, for the minimum time recommended.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Pour into buttered 2 quart baking dish (I use a 9-inch fluted Pyrex dish with 2" sides) and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Let cool, then refrigerate, covered with foil.
- The next morning, bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- If making the morning of, bake for a full 1 hour 15 minutes.
My other half is not a fan of grits, so I made half a recipe, although using 2 small eggs! Also used a mild cheddar & enjoyed the taste of cheese in this dish! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]