10 hrs 10 mins
Jason Sandeman's Note:
Ham hocks are available at your butcher. Okay, you might not have one. Do yourself a favor, and get to know one. If that means that you actually have to talk to the guy at the meat counter at the supermarket, so be it. Ask if you can get some hocks in. You would be surprised at the cost of the hocks. They are pure gold, and priced like dirt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small ham hocks (one could use a bone if you like, or just chopped ham.)
- 450 g white navy beans, washed and picked
- 2 liters water (This is to start, you will need more later.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small russet potatoes
- 1 lemon, juice of
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste fresh ground pepper
- 1Pick through beans to make sure there are no stones. Nothing sucks like breaking your teeth on a stone when it should be a bean!
- 2Place the beans in the crock pot; cover with water.
- 3Set on high cooking and cook for an hour.
- 4Now, some of you will argue that we should or should not season the beans because of the skins. Well, it is a moot point here as we are adding something salty to it anyway. Moving right along.
- 5Ham hocks go inches If you cannot find ham hocks, don’t worry. The recipe will be fine. Just throw in a ham bone. No ham bone? You’re killing me here! You could just use a couple slices of ham.
- 6Add your bay leaf to the crock pot. Don’t worry – it will float. No panic. Really!
- 7Hack up the onion, a small dice is fine, toss it into te crock pot.
- 8Mince the garlic, again – you guesed it – into the crockpot. Are you with me so far?.
- 9Hack the potatoes into a medium dice, toss them into the crock pot. You will be needing them to give your soup some body – that stick-to-your-ribs quality. Besides, they are in season.
- 10Set all of that onto 10 hour on low cooking.
- 11Just before serving, remove the meat and bay leaf from the soup. Once the meat is cold enough to handle, shred it up!
- 12Puree up half of the soup with a hand blender. Do it right in the crockpot! Why waste or clean another vessel. If you have dishwashers, then don’t worry about it. If you don’t – you get the idea.
- 13Put the meat back into the soup.
- 14Now is the time to adjust for seasoning. We start off with the lemon juice, then we adjust the salt and pepper in stages.
- 15Taste a spoon full, think about the saltiness or the pepperiness. *I am sure that should be a word!*.
- 16Once the soup is where you would like it to be, ladle it up and serve it with that local artisan bread.
- 17Props to you! You just cooked something easy for Winter.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Navy Bean Soup With Ham Hocks
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.4
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 144.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: